Re: [TowerTalk] wind load

To: "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] wind load
From: "Stan Stockton" <stan@aqity.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 14:20:59 -0600
I am curious how many guys have first hand knowledge of an amateur radio
tower (properly guyed) coming down as a result of overloading and how
many instances there really are as compared to the number of towers that
are severely overloaded?

I had a tower buckle one time because a tree fell on the top set of guy
wires, but honestly have had seen a lot of towers WAY overloaded, beyond
what I would even do, and in 40 years cannot remember ever knowing
anyone who had a tower failure with ham antennas installed.

In most cases the tower specs include a huge amount of safety factor
along with specs that include multiple, large coax cables from top to
bottom.

Everyone has a comfort level which needs to be satisfied.

73...Stan, K5GO