Re: [TowerTalk] Fractal Antenna's

To: "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fractal Antenna's
From: Michael Tope <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2010 10:53:27 -0800
Steve Best VE9SRB published an article in QEX a number of years ago
showing that fractal antennas were no better than conventionally
"meander line" antennas. My recollection when they first were being
showcased in the trade magazines were articles that showed gain and VSWR
curves with multiband coverage, but there were never any comparisons to
show that these fractal designs were better than conventional
non-fractal techniques. IOW, yes, you can make an electrically small
broadband antenna using fractal geometry, but it isn't necessarily any
better than a conventional meander line antenna of the same size. Just
because fractals occur over and over in nature doesn't prove they make
better antennas. Proving they make better antennas requires valid NEC
simulations and/or measurement data.