Re: [TowerTalk] 20m yagi with dual-driven element

To: "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 20m yagi with dual-driven element
From: "David Thompson" <thompson@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2010 21:54:00 -0500
Rag,

Years ago I had a 5 el KLM Big Stick on a 42 foot boom.  At the same time
K4JPD had the 6 el KLM on a 57 foot boom.  The dual driven elements gave the
beams the wide band width and are a log cell as designed by the developer
Oliver Swan.  According to Swan's work (years ago modeled on VHF) the log
cell does provide some gain.

Tennedyne also has a 6 El 20 with dual driven elements.  His literature says
the dual log cell provides a wide bandwidth and some forward gain.

The Oliver Swan model shows dual nulls for low SWR with one on the low end
and another toward the mid top of the band.  This is in the two KT-34XA
manuals I have.  The max SWR is between 1.3 and 1.4 on the three bands with
the higher SWR in the mid band.

As to 40, KLM made a 4 el dual driven beam on as I recall a 42 foot boom.
The weakness of this beam was the short elements.  I feel full size elements
would add a lot to performance.

Hope this helps.

73 Dave K4JRB