Re: [TowerTalk] N - clamp style connector

To: "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] N - clamp style connector
From: "Steve Katz" <stevek@jmr.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 15:36:58 -0800
K8RI: I'm pretty sure those are the ones that turn a rough, dusty,
bluish
green around here. Nickel plate is terrible and silver just disappears.

That's the main reason I never worry about turning connectors into
permanent attachments and use the flooded heat shrink.  IT also keeps
them nice and clean.

WB2WIK: You know, it's not what the outside of the connector looks like
that's important.  It's what happens inside.  Using silver-plated,
mil-spec UG-21D/U type N connectors, I've used them outdoors, completely
unprotected, for years and years and years even at the seaside when I
lived on the ocean in central NJ.  The outsides turn very "black" in
color, but the silver doesn't disappear -- it just develops an oxide
coat, which actually protects the connector as soon as it happens.

After several years of direct exposure I've unscrewed these fittings and
found everything underneath to be shiny and dry.  I've absolutely never
seen one take in a drop of water (unprotected) if it's the right
connector, installed on the right cable, so they are compatible.