Re: [TowerTalk] Rotor cable protection

To: "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rotor cable protection
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 07:23:49 -0500
I can unplug rotator and antenna switching control cables a lot of times
for the cost of those polyphasers.  I think people also tend to forget
that they need to be part of a whole installation that is without weak
links.  In my case, with a second floor shack in an old house, I knew
going in that I could not get a good low-inductance earth ground, so I
decided to get used to unplugging everything - 4 coax cables, 4 control
cables - whenever the station isn't in use and there is any risk of
lightning.  The only damage in the house, in 14 years and with one major
direct hit, came from induced voltage on a wired Ethernet network (which
we then replaced with wireless).

73, Pete N4ZR

The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com
reversebeacon.blogspot.com