Re: [TowerTalk] findiing aluminum tubing

To: "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] findiing aluminum tubing
From: Stan Stockton <k5go@cox.net>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 0:13:06 -0400
Joe,

I just logged onto my account at UPS, and it showed the maximum length to be
108 inches for a shipment.  I was surprised at the cost - not as bad as
imagined.

I have no idea how many elements or antennas you are rebuilding, but for
example, the quote for a 10 pound package that would be 108 x 4 x 4 was $16.24
from my QTH to yours..  10 pounds would cost $8.24 if the box were instead 2/3
shorter - 36 x 4 x 4.

If you have a supply of tubing on hand, other possible options would include
making an electrically identical element with a slightly different taper
schedule or if only a few elements to be repaired, sleeving two pieces of 5/8
with a double walled section of 1/2 and 3/8, about a foot long, using pop
rivets to secure.

73...Stan, K5GO
.

.