Re: [TowerTalk] V beam leg lengths

To: "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] V beam leg lengths
From: "Al Williams" <alwilliams@olywa.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2010 21:30:17 -0700
I had a 50 foot v beam up at about 70 feet for several years but finally
took it down because my triband yagi perforned better (except 40m). Its apex
angle was fixed at about 50 degrees. That apex angle was selected as a
compromise from a graph in an older ARRL antenna book.

I took the vee beam down after I modeled it with EZNEC and learned how the
apex angle effects the maximum gain (vs broad beam).

I have thought of putting up several wires and selectng the apex angle with
relays like you are designing. However to get a gain better than a simple
Yagi requires a pretty narrow apex angle which means  a lot of wires and
relays ( if you want to steer the direction).

I dont understand what your design of the "enclosed angle ...is about 30-35
degrees  ...for a correct apex angle.." means?

I urge you to model your proposed design.

k7puc