Re: [TowerTalk] Fw: Prop Pitch Motor Power Supply

To: "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fw: Prop Pitch Motor Power Supply
From: "Jim Hargrave" <w5ifp@gvtc.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 10:34:53 -0500
Gene,

I have never had to replace the brushes on mine. Each time I serviced it, I
chucked the rotor shaft in a drill press and cleaned the commutator with
emery cloth. Then I cleaned each slot with a dental tool to get all the
brass filings out so they would not short together. It has never been
machine turned.

I anticipated the aging factor or the PPM and myself when I installed the
tower at this QTH. I'm 76 and have had both knees replaced. Climbing is now
out of the question. Hence the ground level installation.

I have the rotor transformer and antenna switching relays mounted in a box
adjacent to the rotor assembly. I only have about 3 ft of wire from the
transformer to the rotor motor. I installed two phenolic snubbers around the
mast between the rotor and the top of the tower to minimize whiplash. The
motor shaft seal started leaking, so I installed a automotive grease zerk on
the side of the gear box, and give it a lube job periodically. The light
weight grease does not leak thru the motor seal. I did drill a small hole in
the motor cover early on.

My coax and control cables run underground in PVC pipes and come up in the
wall behind my operating desk.

   73's  Jim - W5IFP