Re: [TowerTalk] Hygain 18AVT trap for 20mtr/40mtr

To: "'Tower and HF antenna construction topics.'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Hygain 18AVT trap for 20mtr/40mtr
From: "Bob AD5VJ" <ad5vj@ad5vj.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 18:39:27 -0500
I thought about that thanks for the confirmation.

Yes it is an air cap. Just the coil on a form and the al tubing the form is
attached to does not even go inside the coil form more than 2-3 inches so it
doesn't go all the way thru the form like I thought it would.

My understanding is after reading a bit that the outer al cover makes the
cap based on its proximity to the coil. So I guess I just measure that
carefully and should be reasonably close to the same capacitance.

Then I read about an idea here to use a cutting board for the spacer which I
found on eBay for 5.00. I found the coil form there also in the form of some
delrin rod that is 1/2" by 12". I found the al wire in the form of hobby
wire, but it is not quite 10 awg but pretty close. Problem is the wire is
only in 4 foot lengths.

So I may go with the al fence top post wire idea brought up earlier.

Then it's just making the coil up for resonance. From what I have read
starting at the feed-point out you put the 10 meter coil then the 15 meter
then the 20 meter coil, then the rest of the antenna is 40 meters and the
'resonator' at the top takes care of 80 along with the top hat.

But to be honest I am not sure I want to try to do the 80 meter band seems
like too much of a compromise for that band.

I remember in the old days when I had my Heathkit Apache TX-1 and
Hallicrafters SX-111, literally loading up a window screen in my second
story apartment for the 40 meter novice band and then I transitioned to an
indoor dipole. I strung the dipole along the joint where the ceiling met the
wall 18 gauge wire.

Hihi those were the good ol' days.

Bob AD5VJ