Re: [TowerTalk] Freestanding tower, narrow city lot

To: "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Freestanding tower, narrow city lot
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 17:31:45 -0400

Ryan Jairam wrote:
> Well technically no city can prohibit all antennas. You know, PRB-1
> and all of that.

But they can add engineering requirements that will prevent most from
proceeding.
Here, they did put an 80' limit on towers, but above that you only need
a properly engineered and installed tower.  I had some concerns going to
100', but they accepted the ROHN book figures, looked at the site "once"
during construction and called it good.
> But the tower height with limited setback may be just the excuse they
> need to deny a permit.
>
> As for owning both properties,
Most, but certainly not all set back rules allow for a wavier from
neighbors. Here, had I wanted to go higher with the tower I could have
done so with signed permission from the two neighbors to the South and
the person who own all the wooded land to the North and West which would
be unlikely. I've been trying to purchase and acre to the West and North
for 25 years, but that is part of 64 acres (which is land locked except
for a 100 foot wide stretch tot he North of me) he eventually wants to
subdivide, or to sell to some one who might do the same. However a lot
of it is swampy.
>  that is certainly interesting. I
> suppose if you joined both parcels (the opposite of subdivide?) that
> problem would go away? If it is residential property and not farm
> assessed land it may even have a positive impact on lowering your
> property taxes too if it's one big lot versus two smaller ones, at
> least based on the rules of how land is valued around here.

Here larger lots are generally in the higher priced category so a double
size lot brings a premium.
We have a small home for retirement on a double lot which makes it worth
as much as some newer and larger homes on smaller lots.

There always seem to be exceptions.
> Ryan, N2RJ
>
> On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 6:37 AM, Barry Merrill <barry@mxg.com> wrote:
>
>> IF you city zoning permits antennas/towers at all,
>> it will almost definitely have a setback distance
>> from your property line, that will restrict where
>> you can locate the tower base, and your antenna
>> elements will have to remain within those setback
>> distances (typically 6-10 feet), and you cannot
>> cross a property line with your antenna elements,
>> as I found out, EVEN WHEN I OWNED BOTH PROPERTIES.

Here if you own both properties it is not a problem.  Some, as has
already been stated, just use that as an excuse to deny the permit.

73

Roger (K8RI)