Re: [TowerTalk] US Tower damaged by lightning

To: "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] US Tower damaged by lightning
From: K4SAV <RadioIR@charter.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 21:55:22 -0500
Jim, it sounds like you are doing a good job figuring out how the
lightning got into the AC lines.  That path from the tower winch, into
the barns doesn't sound too good to me, and may have been the source of
most of your problem.   I recognized that path as a potential liability
on my tower, and since my winch is only rarely used I chose to make it a
plug-in arrangement and I have it disconnected except when raising and
lowering the tower.   Of course I didn't need an inspection for my
tower, and I don't know if an inspector would have bought that
arrangement.   (It also pevents anyone from deciding to play with the
winch controls at tower.)

Your tower ground rod installation sounds good.

AC wiring underground is not immune to lightning just because it is
underground.  I chose to add AC surge suppressors to my main AC lines
even though they are underground.  Of course that is not worth much by
its self, but it can't hurt, and it wasn't expensive.

As for N7MAL's statement:
"Jerry have you ever taken a 'direct' lightening strike?? I suspect not
otherwise you would not have made this statement: "" You have a large
amount of damage that should have not happened. ...."

Well you suspect wrong.  When I first erected my tower here in Alabama,
I had three strikes on the tower in the first 4 months after putting it
up.  No damage at all.  None since.  I do have some nice shiny spots on
the mast extending out the top just for that purpose.  Lightning here in
Alabama is not nearly as bad as where I lived before for 38 years, which
was dead center of the highest lightning density area in the USA.  You
learn a lot that way.  If you do a good job on a lightning protection
system you should rarely ever get any damage for a hit on a tower.
There are rare cases where it might decide to miss your tower and hit
the house instead, and that would be pretty bad.  In Florida, I have
seen it miss my antenna by 30 ft and hit a scrawny little 10 ft high
tree.  There is no way to prepare for that kind of thing (it's rare,
only saw that once) but you can fix a tower to take a hit.  However it
is very easy to overlook something when configuring that system.  It
sounds like maybe that's what happened to Jim.

Jerry, K4SAV