Re: [TowerTalk] US Tower damaged by lightning

To: "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] US Tower damaged by lightning
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 01:48:14 -0400
I can't offer much in the way of suggestions for the tower, other than
I'd give it a good visual inspection, including cables and pulleys. I'd
also check the pulley rotation for rough spots, but  remember that few
bearings can set long without developing rough spots, or "bumps". I can
offer a few notes on lightning.

I'd not expect lightning to cause much in the way of dissimilar metal
problems. It's both too quick and too powerful to respect something like
that.

However there is lighting and then there is lightning. The power in
lighting bolts varies tremendously  by several orders of magnitude.
There there are the so called "super strikes" that are many times more
powerful than most lightning.  They are not only more powerful than
regular lightning, the main power is down instead of up and they are
usually associated with "sprites", which are seen well above the tops of
the clouds and extending into space.  These are the ones that blow holes
in big airplanes and are very destructive. A well laid out ground system
that would eliminate damage from garden variety lightning may lessen the
damage, but there is little that will protect from these.

The induced voltages and currents from the stronger near by strikes can
be quite damaging them selves. Where it will go is difficult to predict.
I've seen it strike tall towers and get off half way down getting off
the tower horizontally and curving down to the ground a few hundred
yards out and yes, it can crack, split, or even blow apart basement
walls some distance from the strike, some times with no apparent reason,
or direction.

My tower has been struck 17 times that I know of since it went up, yet
I've had no damage and the equipment was all connected most of the
times.  I have a network of over 600' of bare #2, cad welded(TM) to 32
or 33 8' ground rods.

My antennas are connected to two separate stations that are on different
electrical feeds (The shop and house have different addresses) although
the ground systems are all tied together.

73

Roger (K8RI)