[TowerTalk] Spanish on list

To: towertalk@contesting.com, tomcox@iquest.net
Subject: [TowerTalk] Spanish on list
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2010 12:47:20 EDT

In a message dated 4/26/2010 7:14:15 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,

>  This conversation is antenna-related, and all legitimate  (no insults,
libel, slander, vulgarity, etc.) What is your objection,  specifically?
That it is in Spanish?

Howdy, TowerTalkians --

    I recently sent a TowerTalkian and the  list a terse email that was the
culmination of a series of incidents. In  this case the poster was carrying
on a what looked like a private conversation  on TT about his problem. I
asked him that a private conversation (of  little or no value to the other
2000 members) should be done off list. He then  proceeded to carry on another
obviously private conversation IN SPANISH on the  reflector which was only of
interest to him and the other party. I  took that as a slap in the face and
sent off the aforementioned email.

Everyone on TT, in spite of members from a  dozen or more countries that
are not native English speakers, has used  English on the reflector (and ham
radio in general) as the "official"  language and that seems to work just
fine.

    I appreciate the fact that mostly members act  like adults and we're
way ahead of other special interest reflectors that seem  to be mostly pissing
contests between members. TT is a terrific resource and  I'm glad that it
works so well for it's members. Thanks to all.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TT ADMIN