[TowerTalk] Aluminum Tower Mast

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Aluminum Tower Mast
From: "Jim Thomson" <Jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Thu, 6 May 2010 07:23:50 -0700
Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 14:36:09 -0700
From: "knormoyle@surfnetusa.com" <knormoyle@surfnetusa.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Aluminum Tower Mast

[Dennis] "From day one, we used an aluminum 2" OD THICK WALL ALUMINUM CONDUIT
Mast."

I was curious about aluminum conduit. A quick search says that modern aluminum
conduit is 6063 temper T-1
(our typical 6061 use is T6)

Wikipedia says ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6063_aluminium_alloy )6063 T-1
has a yield strength of only 9kpsi

Regardless of the wall thickness, I would think the low yield strength would
make many other options better for equivalent weight.

also, conduit is specified as I.D. was this 1.5" I.D. -> 1.9" O.D. conduit? or
2" I.D. -> 2.375" O.D. ?

??
-kevin

##  I just noticed the fellow mentioned he used al CONDUIT.   He didn't say
what thickness.    We used  AL conduit
at work in yrs gone by, then it's all now steel, NO AL anywhere. [ think was
mandated by building codes /electrical codes]
CONDUIT is SOFT material. It has to be, to bend the stuff.  Conduit would be
100%  useless  for a mast application.

T-1 /9 ksi is normal. I seriously doubt you could even  run either 6061-T6  or
even 6063-T832  through any conduit bender,
even the hydraulic conduit benders.  It would snap off.    Somebody mentioned
7075 al alloy.   It's  good stuff
 too.. but VERY expensive... but it does have a higher yield strength than
6061-T6.     3003  is another flaky alloy...
ranging from K-1  to K-14  for hardness.  K-1 is only 6 ksi.   You can get 50'
rolls of AL tubing.   F-12 uses it for their
hair pin match's... it's like spaghetti.

Jim   VE7RF