Re: [TowerTalk] My 48' Delhi Self Supporter folded over :-( lost its bol

To: Kevin Normoyle <knormoyle@surfnetusa.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] My 48' Delhi Self Supporter folded over :-( lost its bolts!
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 07 May 2010 06:54:33 -0700
Kevin Normoyle wrote:
> The lock washer may be the problem. I thought studies show that they can
> actually accelerate loosening.

Indeed..

> (if the clamping force is enough, it's hard to believe that you need to
> use loctite on a structural flat steel connection)

An antenna tower might be a higher vibration and cyclical loading
application than you might think at first glance.  It's the cyclical
to be big enough so that it never goes low enough to let the nut turn.
In some applications, that load is more than the maximum recommended
load. Fine threads help because the nut is less likely to turn.

As for the comment about galvanizing and anaerobic thread lockers
(loctite).. The 2 or 3 mfrs data sheets I have say they are compatible
with galvanized hardware.