Re: [TowerTalk] terminology

To: Dayle Johnson <ne_redneck@msn.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] terminology
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 07 May 2010 14:05:24 -0700
Dayle Johnson wrote:

>  I have seen a lot of mention about "yeild strength" of this and that.....is
> this the right term?
>
> In order to measure this material function, test samples are pulled apart.
> A tower mast to me would not get this type of force?
>
> Buckling would be a better description and measure of the force on a mast
> wouldn't it?

They're all related.  You're looking at the basic properties of a chunk
of the metal.  When the stress on it is greater than the yield, it
deforms permanently. You can put the stress on in a variety of ways
(bending, for instance, stretches one side and squishes the other).

Buckling is a structural thing (as opposed to a material property)..

Think of trying to crush a steel hockey puck 2" in diameter (a short,
large diameter column).   It fails when the metal just can't take the
pressure, and it squishes down.  The force is in a straight line, and is
pretty uniform over the whole puck.  The failure load for the
*structure* (the column) is basically the cross sectional area * yield
strength of the material.

Now take a 20 foot long rod, 2" in diameter.  Start applying the load.
At first, the stress on the rod is the same everywhere in the cross
section.  However, what will happen is that the rod will start to bend
pretty early.  As soon as it starts to bend, the force per unit area on
the inside of the bend is bigger than the force per unit area on the
outside of the bend. (just as if you held the rod horizontally by one
end, and let it droop..  the top stretches, the bottom shrinks.)

THe more pressure you apply, the more the rod bends, and the more the
force is bigger on the inside than on the outside (because the average
force has to be the same...nothing else is pushing on it).  As soon as
the load gets bigger than the yield strength, it fails, and generally
catastrophically, because once it starts to go, the bend gets bigger
real fast.

So you can see that the "critical" part of the rod is the surface of the
rod on the inside of the bend.  In fact, that's why tube works almost as
well as solid rod, for long skinny columns.