Re: [TowerTalk] STEPPIR and Wind Direction

To: "'Ken Eigsti'" <diverken@chaffee.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] STEPPIR and Wind Direction
From: "Tod -ID" <tod@k0to.us>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2010 22:03:00 -0600
Ken:

K0LR and I made some experiments to see what would be the 'preferred' or
'neutral' direction for antenna orientation during a strong wind. We did the
work back in April of 2002. What we found was a bit surprising so I wrote it
up in 2005 and it is on my web site. You can see the pictures and read the
text. We found that there was a difference when we oriented the elements
vertically rather than horizontally.

The write up is at

www.k0to.us/HAM/2Wind%20Torque%20Experiment%20-April%202002.mht

The pictures showing the experiments made with small yagi antennas have a
flag in the background that 'shows which way the wind is blowing'. Since the
flag is straight out from the pole it is obvious that the experiments were
done in a stiff wind.

The conclusion was that the boom should be normal to the wind for minimum
torque on the rotator. This is probably not the direction which places
'least wind stress' on the tower, however.

Tod, K0TO