Re: [TowerTalk] Conduit size?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Conduit size?
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 02:02:37 -0400

On 5/17/2010 7:43 PM, Jim Miller wrote:
> I'm planning to run about 70ft of conduit to service two RG213 (or Bury
> Flex) runs and a single Channel Master 3 conductor control wire. It will be
> a straight run with 90 degree sweeps at both ends.
>
> I'm planning on moving from this house in 2 years and really don't plan on
> investing more on antennas here so additional runs aren't really an issue.
>
> Will 1.5" electrical PVC be adequate to handle this or do I need to go to
> 2"?

I'd go with 3" PVC for several reasons. It's easy to pull and it allows
for expansion. It's also relatively inexpensive. Another point is you do
not need to bond the sections together. Actually, if you use some
silicone grease you will get tight, water proof joints that you can take
apart later if so desired and even completely remove the buried conduit.
I used to bond the conduit, but any more I simply grease it with DC-4 or
DC-5 compound (it doesn't take much) and shove them together. I usually
cut the run *slightly* long so it will be under  a bit of pressure which
helps to force the sections to bottom out.  Without the grease you are
unlikely to be able to get the sections all the way together and that
will leave step joints with relatively sharp edges for cables to catch
on.  AND don't forget the "wire soap". The stuff is like a bucket of
snot, but takes the work out of pulling wire and coax through PVC
conduit.  It's amazing how much the coax wants to stick to the PVC and
create drag even in a straight pull. Wire Soap by what ever name is
cheap. Just slop it on generously and have at it.

http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/cablebox.htm shows some of the
conduit runs and their evolution here.

73

Roger (K8RI)