Re: [TowerTalk] Cable entry point

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Cable entry point
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 17:35:00 -0400

On 5/18/2010 12:41 PM, Guy Molinari wrote:
> Hello all,

As different terms are used in different parts of the country, I have to
ask, what's a "stem wall". I wonder if that's the same thing we call a
"rat wall".  It's more or less and extension of the floor slab about 16
or 18" deep without an actual foundation.
>      I'm pouring a foundation for a cabin here real soon.   It is a stem wall
> foundation with a center pour slab.   As you can imagine I want to get the
> plumbing stubbed in correctlty.   I also want to put in entry point conduit
> for hardline, control cables, etc.

There are two ways in. Through the outside wall or the foundation.  I
have a full basement under the house and the shop is on a slab.
Although I originally brought the conduit in through the basement wall,
when we redid the weep tile and basement walls I changed to run the
conduit up to a NEMA box on the outside of the wall.  The bulkhead
grounding plate is in the steel NEMA box with a 4" conduit going through
the end plate for the floor joists. I could have as easily mounted the
box higher and went directly through the wall, but this way is neater.
In the shop the conduit come up the wall and then through about 3' above
the floor.

The conduit can be laid and the concrete poured over it, but that means
a permanent location for the conduit.

http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/cablebox.htm shows the original
runs and the present incarnation of getting the cables to the tower from
both the house and shop including some of the installation details..

I'm not so sure about being able to offer wisdom. <:-))

73 and good luck,

Roger (K8RI)