Re: [TowerTalk] FW: Thrust Bearing - again!

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] FW: Thrust Bearing - again!
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 19:45:39 -0400

On 5/18/2010 6:36 PM, Kenneth R. Goodwin, Jr. wrote:

  Please quote enough so we know to which post you are referring.
> Bad assumption, the TB3s don't rust EXCEPT the set screw which holds
> the ball bearings.  I have two on my tower, one is over 25 years old,
> I live next to the Gulf of Mexico (granted I do have some extra
> lubricant these days) but the only rust I had was the set screw which
> I replaced with a stainless steel version and the hold down bolts
> which again I switched to stainless steel.
Same here.
>    Now the birds love to
> unload on them so they are never pretty when I take a picture but if
> interested I do have a picture of the 25 year old one.  I do spray
> them with cold galvanizing paint but maybe twice in the last 20
> years.  I do recommend some form of small umbrella (protection) over
> the bearing to keep the majority of the rain and dirt away from it,
> no reason to handicap the situation.  I think you guys are getting
> worked up over nothing ( a classic Internet phenomena ).
The problem is the thrust bearings can be used in so many ways, under so
many different conditions it's difficult to write something for anything
specific.  Your bearings lasted 25 years and are still going.  I had
several that lasted at least that long, but with the large array, I went
through two of them in about 8 years.
>    I suspect
> the TB3's have been around for over 40 years which must tell us
> something.  You can do better but for the reliability, longevity and
> low maintenance under the correct loads, the TB3 is hard to beat.
The key is correct loads and proper installation.  In my case the
have been better.
The TB-3 has been readily obtainable at reasonable prices for many
years.  A sleeve bearing would be better and cost far less...IF the
builder had the tools to build them, but to have a machine shop make up
one on a plate would cost more than the TB-3 and they do look crude
although they are very effective.  OTOH sleeve bearing will rust without
proper protection and that looks rather unsightly.

73

Roger (K8RI)