[TowerTalk] stacking of TH11DX, Discover 7-3

To: "Towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] stacking of TH11DX, Discover 7-3
From: "Don Tucker" <w7wll@arrl.net>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 12:57:45 -0700
"Anyone use a bucket truck (like the CATV or Verizon van style) to raise a
100lb antenna and 200lb man? Would you consider that a safe move, or a crazy
idea? "

GREAT IDEA!!

I used to lower the tower, assure slack cables, safety block, climb up a 26
foot ladder and hang around the top with safety belt and harness. Still
couldn't get at the A3WS up 8 feet without laying the tower over (I did not
want to climb the mast, thank you). Nor could I get at any of either antenna
elements to readjust their lengths (SWR at 20+ feet for my target
frequencies were different than at 70+ feet) or do repair except on the
TH7DX driven element at the mast area without lowering the tower.

In my opinion if you have access to a bucket truck of any kind this is the
only way to fly.  This is how I now maintain my TH7DX, A3WS and 22 ft 2M
Monopole atop my lowered HG70HD. The weight of any beam and myself (225) is
well within the safety capacity rating on the bucket truck I use (a 3/4 ton
van with a 30 foot reach bucket used by the owner for contract CATV work, -
not for real soft ground, heavy!!). It is a comfortable working platform,
easy to carry all the tools I need or might need, makes working on all parts
of the various antennas easy and offers greater safety.  If I could afford
one of these usefuls tools I'd buy one and help all my friends with crankups
who are in the same situation as I.

One opinion.

Don W7WLL