Re: [TowerTalk] Baluns/tutorial/notes.

To: Tower Talk List <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Baluns/tutorial/notes.
From: Steve Hunt <steve@karinya.net>
Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 23:06:13 +0100
Jim,

Instruments like the AIM attempt to "calibrate out" the fixture. You
show the instrument a short-circuit, an open-circuit, and a known load,
right at the measurement plane. It can then remove the effects of the
fixture for unknown impedances connected at the measurement plane. I
maintain a set of calibration files for my various test fixtures.

As I said earlier I tried measuring a 10k resistor ; I also just tried
measuring a 10k resistor in parallel with a 3.3pF capacitor. Over the
range 1-50MHz the results seemed plenty accurate enough for making CM
impedance measurements on chokes.

I'm still puzzled why Jim (K9YC) was questioning the accuracy of the
Balun Designs impedance data. The chart shown here:
http://www.balundesigns.com/catalog/1-1%205kw%20Choking%20Impedance.jpg
doesn't seem to contain impedances that would cause significant errors
on the AIM.

73,
Steve G3TXQ