Re: [TowerTalk] Arrow had cheapest toroids

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Arrow had cheapest toroids
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 16:08:39 -0400
 >> I'm going to try the bifilar winding with 14 gauge thhn (solid).
 >> Seems like the cheapest solution with some so-239's and a plastic
 >> box.

Be careful with the bifilar parallel wire chokes.  The Zo of the
"transmission line" in the choke is higher than 50 Ohms (generally
in the 70 Ohm range).  If the length of the transmission line is
more than a very small part of a wavelength it can cause a
significant change in SWR .

The coaxial based current baluns are much better in that respect
as they represent a much smaller "bump" and upset the overall
system far less than a bifilar balun.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV