Re: [TowerTalk] Hy-Gain Discover 7-3

To: <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Hy-Gain Discover 7-3
From: <john@kk9a.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2010 22:34:13 -0400
Assuming one "S" unit = 6dB, you are claiming that your optimized Discover
7-3 has 18dB gain.

To: towertalk@contesting.com
From: "Kenneth R. Goodwin, Jr."
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2010 09:54:00 -0500

You ran into the same problem I did with the hairpin.  You would
think that after 30+ years, that dimension would have been
corrected.  The solution is to move the entire element assembly (all
three elements).  I will send you the dimensions I used.

I found the electronic versions of the manuals to be slightly
deficient as compared to the printed manuals.  I will send you the
dimensions I ended up with including compensation for using a Hy-Gain
balun, the expensive one.  Conclusion, it works like a champ on a
small range of frequencies. Optimized for the CW end with the
resonant point being 7.08 MHz, it has a bandwidth from 6.9 MHz to
7.18 MHz where the SWR is less than 3:1.  It is an awful lot of work
for 3 S-units but at times I am more than glad I have 'em.  Ken K5RG