Re: [TowerTalk] grnding coax braid at top of tower..is a balun even requ

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] grnding coax braid at top of tower..is a balun even required ??
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2010 12:30:50 -0400
 > The best approach is to bond the braid AND use a good choke right at
 > the feedpoint. Remember, we want to take the feedline completely out
 > of the game, and the typical length of coax between the feedpoint and
 > the tower can make a pretty good RX antenna.

If the braid is bonded to the top of the tower (it should be bonded
both top and bottom for lightning protection), one particularly
needs and effective balun.  Without it, current in the "shield"
side of the drive element will divide unpredictably between the
boom/tower and the driven element half.

In addition. if the tower itself is close to "resonant" on the
band of the antenna, it will provide significant noise and omni-
directional RF to the "shield" side of the driven element by
common mode connection.  A common mode choke is important to
prevent pattern deterioration here.

All in all, ground the shield of the feedline at the top and bottom
of the tower and use a high quality balun/common mode choke at the
feed point of the antenna.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV