[TowerTalk] DX eng super duty saddle clamps, new uses.

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] DX eng super duty saddle clamps, new uses.
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 04:01:35 -0700
Has anybody used the dx eng  super duty saddle clamps   for attaching a boom to
an  AL plate ???

These are the real heavy duty clamps that consist of 2 x mating solid, textured
 A356-T6 saddles... 1/4" thick SS backing plate
and  a pair of armour plated G-8 bolts.

Normally these clamps are used on the mast.. and flat out won't slip on a mast.
   They only come in 3 x sizes.. 2"   2.5"   and 3"

I see no reason why they couldn't be used on a boom as well.   I have some
spare  3"  super duty saddle clamps ... and a pair of em on the F-12 340N
would be preferable   VS     6  x regular saddle clamps   [ 3 per side]  .
The reg clamps look just like muffler clamps..except SS.. and have solid 1.25"
wide
A356-T6  saddles.   They are also a lot longer than regular muffler/ u clamps.

This scheme of using a single super duty saddle clamp on each end of my 8" tall
x 17" wide  x 3/8"  thick  6061 T6 plate  also makes for tilting the boom
 a LOT easier.   My vertical plate is 8" wide x 14" tall  [also 3/8"  thick]
Vert plate is held to mast with a pair of 2" dx eng super duty mast clamps.

The original  F-12   double plate idea is superb.   The only drawback is.....
IF the stock  Horz U bolts  [esp the inner ones]  are too close to the vertical
 plate.... the
horizontal plate will not tilt very far down.

In my case... the F-12  340N boom  must be able to tilt down at a gross angle.

BTW.... I also found a new use for the dx eng  super duty saddle clamps.    I
use ONE of em  for each of  my new mast steps.

The 2"  variety are exactly 2" tall........ and mate with my 14"  long   2" x
2"  x 1/4"  thick    6061 T6  Al steps nicely.

Tested on the grnd... I can support my entire body weight.. just by compressing
the 2 x saddles.., with my bare hands.... with NO bolts, backing plates or
steps at all !
They won't rotate.. and they also won't slide down the mast.

I applied 2 x strips of that 1" wide adhesive backed  non skid material you see
used on boats,  [ we used tons of it on Putnam rolling ladder's  at work]   to
the top of each
step.   I also applied one strip of it to the side of each step  [vertical
portion of the angle AL step] .   The idea  here was so  my fingers won't slide
off the
vertical portion.      I also installed  1/4-20  SS   hex head bolts  + mating
SS ny-lock nuts.... one at each extreme end of the step.     Then you
can..'feel'
where the end of each step is  right away.  1/4-20 bolts are 1"  long.. and
stick up 3/4"  above each step.  End result is... you can stand on em for
hrs....
 without wrecking ur feet..since they are 2" deep  [ and 14" wide] I chose
14"... cuz the mast eats up 2".. leaving  6"  per foot.
 On a 3"  mast... I would make em  15"  wide... [and 2.5" tall on the vert
dimension of the angle AL...to mate with the slightly larger 3" super clamp.

Cost for each step was $32  for each  super clamp.. +  $5.00  for the pair of
G-8 bolts... + cost of 2" x 2"  angle.  [Local metal place had loads of it]

I feel safe on these things.. and nothing to rust.

Later........... Jim   VE7RF