Re: [TowerTalk] Shack ground

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Shack ground
From: "K1TTT" <K1TTT@ARRL.NET>
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2010 10:36:15 +0000
Agreed, that isolation is not enough to even stop induced voltages from
damaging the cards.  And the longer the cables the worse the induced voltage
pickup problem from nearby strokes.  When I had a wired network around the
shack I would lose one or two cards every summer.  I finally resorted to
breaking the 10base2 part of the network into 3 or 4 segments when not in
use or if thunderstorms were in the area to stop the damage.  now everything
except my server and wireless access points that are all mounted in one rack
are wireless.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@arrl.net
web: http://www.k1ttt.net