Re: [TowerTalk] anti seize/never seize ?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] anti seize/never seize ?
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 07:43:04 -0400
It was a long time ago, but a cautionary tale.  My daughter had a 1972
VW beetle.  Those things secured the wheels by way of bolts threaded
into the brake drums, rather than studs, and it was notoriously hard to
remove the bolts.  I got some anti-seize compound and put it on the
threads, where it worked fine, but about 150 miles later one of the
wheels came off as she was crossing a railroad track.  It turned out
that all of the wheel bolts were loose.

Moral of the story, for me, would be not to use such compounds in your
tower installation unless it is somewhere that you can safety-wire the
bolt, turnbuckle, etc. to prevent unintended loosening.,  The stuff just
works too well.

73, Pete N4ZR

The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com
reversebeacon.blogspot.com,