Re: [TowerTalk] Is lightning hitting the tower..OR ALL THREE,,,

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Is lightning hitting the tower..OR ALL THREE,,,
From: "K1TTT" <K1TTT@ARRL.NET>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 14:00:26 +0000
Not unusual, the national lightning detection network does a grouping of
strokes that occur within some short time interval within some short
distance of each other into a single stroke because that happens so often.
In a video like that you may not be able to see the time difference between
them, or where they came from, its possible they are branches of the same
leader, or they could have been completely separate.  There have also been
observations from the space shuttle of lines of storms where it 'appears'
that a stroke in one cell triggers strokes in other cells in the same line.
I could see mechanisms for that where the first stroke causes a quick shift
in the gross electric field making it easier for other leaders to develop.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@arrl.net
web: http://www.k1ttt.net