[TowerTalk] back to back baluns..with 450 ohm between em.

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] back to back baluns..with 450 ohm between em.
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2010 04:59:04 -0700
http://www.dxengineering.com/Parts.asp?ID=3585&PLID=50&SecID=10&DeptID=9&PartNo=DXE%2DBAL450%2DH10%2DB%2DP

Has anybody uses these items or similar ??   The concept is a 1:9 balun at each
end of a 300-1000'  run
of 450 ohm line... then 50 ohm coax up a tower... that happens to be 300-1000'
away.

I thought of this same idea back in the 80's,  but was always on a small city
lot, so discarded it. [still am]

I suggested the concept to other folks who were on acreage,  and nobody tried
it...or even tested the concept.

DX eng  claims .2 db  loss for EACH of the 1:9  baluns  [ but no freq is spec'd
]   From their chart, it appears
to be aprx 15m band ?   You also have the loss of the actual 450 ohm line
itself.

Heck, if you did it right, you could even run the 450 ohm line up the side of a
tall tower, using
some creative stand off's  of course.   They used  standoffs back in the early
60's, to stand off 300
ohm line  going up the side of a AL mast on a typ roof-top  for TV ants.

later.......... Jim  VE7RF