Re: [TowerTalk] Beta match adjustment

To: TexasRF@aol.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Beta match adjustment
From: Steve Hunt <steve@karinya.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 15:25:55 +0100
Gerald,

One example might be where you need to divide two complex numbers - for
example you want to calculate (a+jb)/(c+jd); that requires some tedious
maths.

However if the complex numbers are expressed in polar form: (w @ angle
x) and (y @ angle z), the answer is simple: w/y @ angle(x-z)

The engineers amongst us will be very familiar with swapping between the
two forms and using whichever is the easier to manipulate in a
particular calculation.

We often use the polar form without realising it; for example a
resistance of 40 ohms in series with a reactance of 30 ohms gives a
total impedance of  50 ohms. We've unwittingly moved from the 40+j30
form to the 50@angle37degrees polar form.

73,
Steve G3TXQ