Re: [TowerTalk] outlet ground problems and shack grounds updatinginfo ne

To: Paul Christensen <w9ac@arrl.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] outlet ground problems and shack grounds updatinginfo needed please.
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 07:30:27 -0700
Paul Christensen wrote:

> Also, check local codes on this.  I have to believe where primary use is for
> two 120VAC in a residential installation, the practice of splitting phases
> on a common neutral is prohibited in some areas.

This is called a "multiwire branch circuit" and exhibit 210.2 in the
2005 NEC shows an example of a split wired duplex receptacle with one
half wired for 240V and the other for 120V.  The fine print note (FPN)
talks about the necessity in such schemes for having a dual pole circuit
breaker.

Another example given is the need to supply two appliance branch
circuits for a countertop receptacle in a kitchen (And, now that I
check, I see that's exactly what they've done under the sink in my
house... one circuit for dishwasher, the other for the disposer,
separate breakers).

The note says the neutral must be sized to carry 140% of the ampere
rating of the circuit (220.61(A))

There's also special rules if you're using a 208/120Y or feeding
nonlinear loads (solid state ballasts, switching power supplies)