Re: [TowerTalk] shack wiring

To: Jim Thomson <jim.thom@telus.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] shack wiring
From: Ron Bowman <w8vzmron@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 06:09:13 -0400
Jim,
We too have the 20 A outlet here in the states. It has both vert and horiz
slots on the right side of the receptacle. 15A rated plugs are vert and 20 A
rated are horiz. I use them alll the time in the medical repair work that I
do.
Ron W8VZM

On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 5:04 AM, Jim Thomson <jim.thom@telus.net> wrote:

> Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 11:09:46 -0700
> From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
> Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] surge protectors
>

> Another suggestion. run 20A circuits (#12) for anything that may get a lot
> of electronic stuff plugged in, with a dedicated neutral for each circuit.
> For long runs, pull in #10. If you do the math, you quickly realize that
> 20A will run a LOT of ham gear, everything but big power amps. That big
> 13.8V power supply is only dragging about 700W out of the wall to provide
> 40A continuous DC, enough to have two rigs keydown in RTTY at the same
> time. AND you can greatly reduce those peak power requirements by using
> smaller power supplies to float deep dischrage batteries.
>
> ### If I remember correctly, in our BC electrical code,  IF  you opt for
> a 20A  circuit  [120 vac]   and use 12 ga  Cu , and also a single 20A
> breaker,
> the 120 vac outlet must be of the 20A  rated variety !   The 20A  rated
> 120 vac outlets don't resemble the normal 15A  variety.   They use a
> weird  20A  120 vac outlet... which requires the mating  plug.  I think
> one blade was straight.. and the 2nd one had a right angle to it, such that
> normal  appliances,etc,  could not be plugged into it.   IF a regular  120
> vac
> outlet is used, and V drop is a concern,  sure, you can use 12 ga wire...
> but
> you must use a 15A  breaker.   10 ga CU  won't fit most  120 vac outlets
> anyway.
> [ they will take 12 ga max]
>
> ##  IF you want to save on wire,  I see no reason why you can't  run 240
> vac
> + neutral  to a duplex 120 outlet... then break the tab off... and then
> they share a
> common neutral.   This is done all the time in kitchens.  Then you can suck
> 15A per
> outlet.   The neutral current is the difference between the two loads.
>
> ## depending on how far the shack is from the main 200A panel.... I decided
> in my
> case, to go to plan B... and simply install a 100A  sub panel on the other
> side of the
> shack wall [ unfinished part of the basement, where the 200A main panel is
> across the
> basement from the 100 A  sub panel].   Sub panel was cheap... and is wired
> back to main
> panel with 3 ga CU.   Then it's real short lengths [ like <10']  of 120/240
> wiring  from
> 100A sub panel to shack on other side of wall.   Then I'm not gobbling up
> umpteen
> breaker positions in the main 200A panel either.
>
> ##  each amp gets it own real short dedicated 240 vac circuit  [10 ga].
> Also loads of 120 vac
> circuits.[12 ga]    It's  actually an excellent way to go.  Instead of
> really long multiple runs back to the
> [...]

Ron

I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of
tyranny over the mind of man.

Thomas Jefferson