[TowerTalk] Proximity of Antennas and Multi-Radios

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>, <cmorgan13@gmail.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Proximity of Antennas and Multi-Radios
From: "Steve, W3AHL" <w3ahl@att.net>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2010 16:17:00 -0400
I just did an analysis of this for our club's Field Day site for next year,
since we had problems running 10A with only 5 watts this year.  Someone forgot
the bandpass filters (BPF) used in the past, but the concern was which radios
created more of a problem with out-of-band interference and how much of a BPF
was needed.  In our case a BPF with 60 dB of attenuation is adequate.  The
I.C.E. BPF filters used at some stations previously are only 30 dB typically,
which doesn't cut it for our use.

The main problem is broadband noise, which is reported in the ARRL equipment
reviews as composite noise.  They only report the level out to 1 MHz from the
carrier (22 KHz in reviews before about 2006), but the noise covers 3-30 MHz
fairly evenly, depending on the radio.   This noise is a combination of phase
noise from the DDS, PLL or VFO and amplitude noise from the driver and PA,
primarily.  There may be peaks slightly higher than the average composite noise
level, but they are narrow and can be worked around.

I measured the composite noise of six radios used by the club, primarily for
the case of transmitting at 14.1 MHz and measuring the out-of-band composite
noise at 80, 40, 15 and 10M and at 1 MHz from the carrier to compare with the
ARRL lab report.  The best performer was the Elecraft K3 at -160 dBc/Hz, an
IC-7000 was -120 dBc/Hz and an IC-718 was the worst at -112 dBc/Hz.  Your
radios appear to be in the -130 dBc/Hz range.

To translate that into something more meaningful:
  1.. The noise power received is a function of filter width. For a 500 Hz
filter -130 dBc/Hz = -103 dBc.  For a 2500 Hz filter, -96 dBc.
  2.. dBc is dB relative to the carrier power, which for 100 watts is 50 dBm.
So -96 dBc = -46 dBm.  This is the power being transmitted to the antenna.
  3.. The power received by the other antenna is a function of both antennas'
gain, pattern and isolation due to distance.   In your case we can't assume
isolation due to pattern and the freespace loss is probably less than 25 dB at
a distance of less than 100'
  4.. So your RX antenna will see about (-46 -25) = -71 dBm.  An S9 is
typically -73 dBm.  So you have a problem.
  5.. Ideally you would like to reduce the out-of-band noise to less than -120
dBm.  That would require a BPF with (-120 - -71) = 49 dB attenuation in the
bands of interest.   A 60 dB filter would be ideal.
  6.. Such a filter needs to be able to withstand the TX power of the radio it
is attached to and have reasonable insertion loss at the center frequency.  And
of course you need one for each band you planned to operate on simultaneously,
connected to the correct radio.   QST has had several articles on building such
filters, but it helps to have access to an analyzer to tune them.  They can
probably be purchased.  Since our club is just running 5 watts, building the
filters isn't a big deal.
That was probably more detail than you wanted to know!

Steve, W3AHL