Re: [TowerTalk] question on where to run coax

To: dick@dkhanson.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] question on where to run coax
From: Joseph or Ruth Patrick <hdmc38@bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 07:19:48 -0700 (PDT)
Hello Dick

 I don't think that as far as lightning is concerned it makes much difference
where you put it. If your tower takes a direct hit It depends on alot of things
on what happens to your feed line.I prefer to mount the feed line one the
inside
of the tower. This will give some degree of protection from physical damage
when
working or MAINTAINING your towers. Most people use tape and that's OK, just
use
good tape like Scotch #33 or 88 electrical tape. Always cut the the tape with a
sharp scissors and you will never have a flag. Klein makes a pair for this and
there small and work great. I aways carry them when working on towers. When I
built my tower I used standoffs for the feed line. Now they are expensive but
worth it if have to work on or add another line for that new antenna you just
added. Andrew and Tessco have them. I really like them but $300 bucks buys alot
of tape! You can also mark multiple lines with colored phasing tape so you know
which one to work on. Buy the way I do use tape after the rotor loop and up the
mast to the antenna. It's just eaiser. Just my HOP.
 73 K4XZ Joe Patrick