Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: CC&R's

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: CC&R's
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 21:53:01 -0400

On 8/17/2010 12:49 PM, Joseph or Ruth Patrick wrote:
> I would say if your a ham looking to purchase property and thinking of putting
> up some kind of size able antenna then stay away from HOA'S,CC&RS,DEED
> RESTRICTIONS,P&Z CODES and anything else that even smells like a problem. It's
> hard enough getting thru the permitting process. You don't need anymore
> serious
> problems. An HOA can be a real nightmare and make getting a building permit
> seem
> easy. Sadly there are not many properties without some kind of restrictions. I
> would stop in and meet with the Building official and get his opinion (in
> writing,good luck with that). Stop P&Z while your there and pay them a
> visit.Bottom line as they say in real estate is LOCATION<  LOCATION, LOCATION.
> Taking to the neighbors is not a bad idea either.I would say 90% of the time
> permits can be obtained. You just have to know how to do it, and every town
> and
> city does it different. Just mt HMO.
In our Township, (Midland Country, Home Township, Michigan) Ham radio
towers are written into the zoning. We could go to 80' although I think
I heard it's been raised to 100' without a zoning permit and if it's not
required they don't issue them.   When I put mine up it required a
permit at 100'. The only requirements that had to be met were set back
rules (if it falls it has to fall on your own property unless you have a
wavier from your neighbor(s)) and it had to be properly engineered. They
were quite willing to accept the engineering in the ROHN catalog.
They came out once to look at the hole with the crushed rock in the
bottom that was ready for the pour.  They never did look at the guy
anchor installation, nor inspect the finished  installation that I ever saw.

I have no complaints from any neighbors and the other evening when I was
taking down the 40' Aluminum tower with the AV-640 on it and the 30' of
25 G next to it, one neighbor and his wife came over and dug out the
bases for me.  They said they will be back to dig the hole for the 50'
25G as soon as I'm ready to put in the base.

BTW, I *finally* got started on the 40M3-125 today, or at least
assembled the boom.

73

Roger (K8RI)