Re: [TowerTalk] Underground Utilities

To: n8de@thepoint.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Underground Utilities
From: Mickey Baker <fishflorida@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 09:22:11 -0400
I Florida, we have relatively low property taxes and energy rates and no
state income tax. The state's balance sheet is healthy. How's the situation
in Michigan? I do NOT want to go ask for more services "for free" out of my
taxes or energy bill and I really don't want a publicly paid entity locating
swimming pool pipes and sprinkler lines in someone's yard.

It would be fair to do this with a permit fee.  If you're going to dig a
hole or trenche, get a permit and we'll send someone out and pay them out of
your permit.

 Is it fair to imbed it in utility bills, as it appears that it is in
Michigan? Maybe Michigan should re-think this.

Mickey

On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 8:39 AM, <n8de@thepoint.net> wrote:

> In Michigan, we call 'Miss Dig' which is a separate company, PAID BY
> Consumers' Electric, when we need this done.
>
> They find ALL underground lines:  phone, electric, natural gas pipe, etc.
>
> The cost to the home owner is ZERO.
>
> Perhaps your state needs to investigate this?
> 73
> Don
> N8DE
>

> Quoting "Gary E. Jones" <garyejones@cmaaccess.com>:
>
> > An issue that people may need to wrestle with is........  do they mark
> the
> > lines that run on your private property?
> >

> > Several years ago, I installed an in-ground swimming pool. Unfortunately,
> > where the pool was designed to be, was dead center for where two 200A 240
> > lines were coming into the house below ground. Although I guessed that
> they
> > were there (by the line of sight method between where the above-ground
> > transformer was and the service entrance on my house), I called the
> > utilities to mark the lines. My electric utility was SWEPCO (Southwest
> > Electric Power Company). They dutifully marked their lines in their right
> of
> > ways, but there was no line marked up to my house (the whole point of the
> > exercise). AT&T marked theirs up to the house, the cable people marked
> > theirs, but SWEPCO did nothing beyond their ROWs. When I specifically
> asked
> > the man doing the marking, he informed me that "we don't mark private
> > property".
> >

> > Now, this from the same company that ran 3 or 4 commercials a day showing
> > man and his son ready to dig in their back yard until his helpful wife
> > reminds him that he could get electrocuted, and he calls SWEPCO to mark
> > their lines in his backyard.....     (Yea, right !!!!)
> >

> > I happened to also have my "lawn irrigation man" here that day marking
> some
> > lines, and he used his underground wire tracing indicator to find the 200
> > amp service leads (it sounds like pure 60 Hz hash in his earphones) and
> he
> > traced the lines for me. His traces were perfect....
> >

> > Point of story.....    make sure that they will mark your lines (the
> lines
> > from their transformer to your house are "yours", not theirs.
> >

> >           73
> >

> >                           Gary        W5FI

Mickey Baker
Fort Lauderdale, FL
“Tell me, and I will listen. Show me, and I will understand. Involve me, and
I will learn.” Teton Lakota, American Indian Saying.