Re: [TowerTalk] cable locating

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] cable locating
From: Nate Bargmann <n0nb@n0nb.us>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 22:16:08 -0500
"Witching" really does work.  I have an uncle who can not only locate
underground water sources but graves as well.  In fact he located two
previously unknown and unmarked graves in our church's cemetery.  He can
also tell if the person buried was an adult or a child.

I was shown the copper wire "witch" method by another tech in the
company I worked with.  I've used it to locate our ground wires and also
some phone cable.  Why?  How?  Beats me.  It works.  Now my dad (uncle's
brother) says it doesn't work for him at all.  Go figure.

If you must try to locate something like your ground wires, give it a
try.  I take about 15 inches of #12 solid wire.  Bend over 3 to 4 inches
into an L shape and then with your lightly clenched fist with the thumbs
up, hold the wires between your thumb and index finger in that opening
at the web of your thumb.  Let the wires tilt down slightly so gravity
keeps them pointed directly away from you. Don't clench the wires so
tightly that they can't move, they should be able to swing freely.
Tuck your elbows at your side so your hands are about a foot apart or
so.  As you walk over metal cable such as a ground run, the wires will
swing together and if your path is perpendicular to the cable, the
wires should be parallel with each wire touching the other fist when
you are directly over the cable.

Practice makes perfect.

73, de Nate >>