Re: [TowerTalk] water witch ... and digging where you shouldn't

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] water witch ... and digging where you shouldn't
From: Andy <ai.egrps@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2010 23:16:43 -0400
>  There are some very expensive and deadly lines
> buried out of  sight, underground.

This reminds me of something, and helps bring the discussion somewhat
back on topic.

Last year a small sinkhole developed in the street next to my house.

The town carefully marked off boundaries for the "DIG SAFE" area.  A
few days later they dug it up.  I was working at home that day.  After
a while the backhoe stopped, several more trucks and a fire truck
pulled up, then slowly backed away, far away, along with all the
people.  A loud hissing sound could be heard.

It seems they had cut the gas line.

A while later the gas company arrived and marked where the gas line
went, right through the middle of the "DIG SAFE" area.

I used to think there was a sound reason for the DIG SAFE program.
Apparently I was wrong.

Fast-forward to now.  The neighbors across the street are having some
utility work done, and the town marked off another DIG SAFE area, on
the other side of the street about 15 feet from last year's, and right
where the gas company last year said one of the gas drops went!

What the heck is going on?!  Are they trying to get us all killed?

Fortunately they didn't hit the gas line this time.

But they dug up well outside the DIG SAFE area.  They excavated about
three times as much pavement as had been marked off as safe to dig.
They even dug up part of my yard.  I still don't know why.

The neighborhood is only about 20-30 years old, and they laid sewer
lines and re-paved the street about 8 years ago.  It's not like they
shouldn't know where every utility line goes.

When it happened last year, it was only a few weeks after two other
houses in the state exploded due to gas leaks.  You'd think they would
learn that you don't screw around with this stuff.

When there is a gas leak, the gas can follow other underground pipes
and get into houses some distance from the leak.  It can even follow
other lines into houses that don't have gas.  Then after a while you
get a basement full of gas, and your house makes the 11:00 news.