Re: [TowerTalk] [ham-law] Important Cellular Telephone Tower Decision

To: "'Roger \(K8RI\)'" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [ham-law] Important Cellular Telephone Tower Decision
From: "Dick Green WC1M" <wc1m73@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2010 01:32:05 -0400
Interesting that your town distinguishes between ham and commercial
antennas. Our town does, too, sort of. There's a basic height limit of 35
feet, but it's waived for private, non-commercial antennas used for radio or
TV reception. Effectively, this means there's no height limit at all. I've
used this exception to get tower permits on three separate occasions, most
recently for a 115' Rohn 55 tower. The only requirement was use of a Ufer
ground in the base of the Rohn 55 tower, which I think came about due to
adoption of or changes in NEC codes between the time I got permits for the
second and third towers.

It's a different story for commercial towers. They are limited to 70' in
height and must be no less than one mile from any other commercial antenna
tower. This is not a limit on specific technology, but it definitely has an
effect on performance and coverage, which I think intrudes on FCC territory.
My guess is that it hasn't been challenged because the cell tower folks
haven't wanted to build one here. There are cellular antennas on a
grandfathered 400' tower on a nearby mountain and there aren't any other
suitable places that would provide better coverage.

Oh yeah. The astute reader (or lawyer) may have noticed the word "reception"
in the ordinance that allows ham towers. I did consult a lawyer about that
when I got the first permit, and she said it was a potential loophole that a
neighbor might potentially exploit to invalidate the permit, especially if
my transmissions caused RFI. But I don't think she was right about that. The
ordinance doesn't prohibit transmission, and doing so would clearly cross
the line with FCC pre-emption. The wording didn't concern our zoning
administrator when I applied for the third permit. Her only concern was
whether the ordinance allowed me to have more than one tower (tower #2 is on
the same property.) After a couple of days she decided it was OK. Her
rationale was that there aren't that many hams in our town so allowing it
wouldn't lead to a rash of towers springing up. I gently brought up PRB-1 in
that conversation, and she said that in her opinion it didn't prevent the
town from prohibiting antenna towers. And this was after the NH Supreme
Court upheld PRB-1 in a ham tower case! I think the legislature passed some
sort of endorsement of PRB-1 as well. But what the heck -- I got the permit
:-)

73, Dick WC1M