Re: [TowerTalk] Lightning Protection Question

To: <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Lightning Protection Question
From: <john@kk9a.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2010 14:41:12 -0400
Earlier this year I buried a lot of Heliax and rotator wires in a 250 foot
long trench going from my tower base to the house.  The wires were not
connected at either end and were not touching the tower and shortly after
burying them my tower was struck by lightning.  I saw burn marks on the ends
of the buried wires and on the Heliax connectors so voltage can definitely
be induced into nearby conductors.  As Jim said the best place for the
protector is at the entry panel to the shack.   I wonder if it does any harm
to also have them at the tower base?

John KK9A