Re: [TowerTalk] Lightning Protection Question

To: "'Roger \(K8RI\)'" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Lightning Protection Question
From: "Gary Schafer" <garyschafer@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 10:05:57 -0500
Simple spark gaps are not so simple. Temperature, humidity, contamination by
dirt etc will all make a difference on what voltage they arc at. Gas tubes
are much simpler and more reliable for repeatability of breakdown voltage.

With a spark gap you have the problem of discontinuities in the line (swr)
where the bulky gap is installed. Gas tubes can also be a problem in getting
the proper enclosure to maintain a constant impedance to the line.

It is much simpler to buy a ready made device such as Polyphasers where all
that work is done for you. But you can do it yourself.

73
Gary  K4FMX