Re: [TowerTalk] 6BTV vs HF2Vvsr DX Engineering 10-80 vertical, or Force

To: Ryan Jairam <rjairam@gmail.com>, Kelly Taylor <theroadtrip@mts.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 6BTV vs HF2Vvsr DX Engineering 10-80 vertical, or Force 12 flagpole
From: Tom Anderson <andersonww5l@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 19:31:44 -0700 (PDT)
Kelly:

I've heard that from others too.

HUmmmmmmm may have to look at the HF2V a little closer.  Course my backyard
won't permit radials that long, 30 foot maybe, but I guess some radials are
better than none.

A little tale.  Years ago I was on the comms staff of the Longhorn Boy Scout
Council's council camporee where we had about 2,000 Boy and Cub Scouts.  We had
a 4BTV with no radials hooked up to a TS120S as a demo HF station. It was also
a long way from the station/tent to the porta potties, so we just went out back
in the woods 50-75 feet away and "created a good salt water ground" at the base
of the 4BTV hi hi (yes this is a true tale).  Well 20 meters was booming and
all of a sudden we heard Jacky 5T5?? on Mauritus in the Indian Ocean booming in
on 20m on that no radial 4 BTV. About 10 of us fought over the mike to work him
and he stayed around long enough to work all of us. hi hi.  Jacky was also my
first 5T5 contact ever.

Course the 6BTV was free hi hi.

Tnx de Tom, WW5L