Re: [TowerTalk] Climbing

To: "Doug Westacott" <ve6pr@canada.com>, <k1ttt@arrl.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Climbing
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 21:09:26 -0700

From: "Doug Westacott" <ve6pr@canada.com>
Sent: Monday, September 20, 2010 6:43 PM
To: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>; <k1ttt@arrl.net>
Cc: <towertalk@contesting.com>

> Gentlemen
>

> As per my previous response on this subject...fall arrest cables are
> specified to be installed at anchors rated at 5000 lbs force....

##  and  since the anchor point IS the TOP of the tower, how many TOPS of
any towers are rated to handle 5000 lbs...none of em !
It's a moot point though. Other than yourself and  VE6JY,   I don't know of
any other ham towers  with any kind of fall arrest system.

> Anyway...the way I see it...I have met alot of HAMS that all own climbing
> belts of various descriptions...however when I call on them to come up
> their tower to give me a hand...they all decline....maybe its a status
> symbol to own a belt ?????

##  It would be a good way for me to get out of climbing other folks
tower's.   " do you have a fall arrest system in place? "   "No, well I
guess I won't be climbing your tower any time soon".   To tell you the
truth, I'm fed up with other folks tower's over the years...replaced rusted
out hardware, SS bolts gauled up [ no anti seize, over-tightened,etc]
Rusted out muffler clamps, broken rotor clamps, rusted masts, broken
undersized rotor's,  blown up baluns, bad connectors, bad relays in remote
switch box's  etc.    You tell folks the best way to install this stuff, and
they don't listen.  Nickle plated UHF connectors can never be soldered
right. If the balun won't handle 10 kw, don't install it.  If the mast
sticking 10' above the top of the tower is not hot dipped galvanized, heat
treated 4130 chromolly steel,  don't install sched 40  water pipe.    Ham-4
rotors and tail twisters are toy rotor's, and will eventually explode.  If
ur gonna  pour concrete, use at least 30 mpa, it cost hardly anymore than 20
mpa.  Don't expect 3" diam, sched 40 water pipe, sticking 7' out of the grnd
to be used as a "guy anchor".  Don't mess with old KLM  yagi's, the lexan
insulator's  will snap like a tooth pick in a windstorm.  The correct tool
is required to install nicropress crimps, not channel locks and a hammer.
Most 'plated' hardware won't last 18 x months.  Mosely tri-banders have this
tendency for the traps to melt/catch fire.   I just found out that one of
the local 68'  freestanding ham-towers here in town, has less than 1 cubic
yard of  owner mixed..concrete holding it up.  The fellow placed 3 x pipes
in the ground, and embedded em in concrete !   He didn't even fill the pipes
up with concrete, instead they fill with rain water.   Try and explain
'leverage'   to typ ham, they still don't get it.   Tell  folks that a 70
mph wind is double the pressure of a 50 mph wind..and they don't believe
you.   I look after my own stuff from here on in.  Now I can see why City
hall wants a PE  to sign off on all new ham tower installs.  Most of em are
an accident waiting to happen.  A tower rated for 3 sq feet, and no ice/snow
is not ......'just fine'  with 15 sq ft.    Trees do not make for good guy
anchors  for 160' towers.

sri for the diatribe.   Jim  VE7RF