[TowerTalk] Motor help please

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Motor help please
From: "James C. Hall, MD" <nwtcc@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 19:07:57 -0500
Hello TT:

I had to replace a motor on my UST 572 tower and the replacement motor has
somewhat different colored wires. I know next to nothing about motors and
before I attempt and possibly damage my motor, I thought I would present it
here.

The limit switch control box has wires to the motor marked B1 (black), B2
(white), B3 (red), and B4 (green).  The instruction sheet on these
connections to the AC motor are P1 to B2, P2, T8, & T3 to B4, T5 to B3, and
T4 & T2 to B1.

The new motor is an A.O. Smith C313 1HP motor with the following low voltage
placard:

   Yellow/black -------- Line

   Brown \

   Red         } ------                               (Brown, Red, and
Orange are grouped with no other explanation)

   Orange /

   White \

   Yellow} ------- Line                       (White, Yellow, Black are
grouped together)

   Black  /

The Yellow/black wire is marked P1. The brown wire is marked P2. There are
also 2 blue wires which are wire nutted together.

In the old motor, there was a black wire marked P1 and another black wire
that was not labeled. The problem with the old motor was a blown governor. I
could crank down but nothing on cranking up.

Could someone please give me a hand on how this should be connected. How
does one tell what the T value/colors are ?

Thanks so much.

73, Jamie

WB4YDL

=======