Re: [TowerTalk] securing loose element ends

To: <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] securing loose element ends
From: <john@kk9a.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 17:12:28 -0400
Did you check the gap on the slotted tubing to see that it is not completely
collapsed?  It is possible after cleaning the joints, you increased the
clearance slightly and now it will no longer clamp tightly.  Hy-Gain uses
extruded ends on a lot of their antenna and I'm not sure how precisely they
hold the diameter.   The extruded area is not that long and the amount of
rivets that you can install is limited and I would try to use the clamp.
I'm not sure if you have the old style clamp with a bolt and nut or a hose
clamp, but either one should work.   It should clamp fine, unless the slots
are closed up and then you'll have to open them up with a saw or something.
I use Penetrox on all of my antenna joints, but it is a habit after having
antennas in a corrosive environment.    I still think it's a good thing to
use, but it's not always necessary.

GL
John KK9A