Re: [TowerTalk] Rebar

To: n5xz@earthlink.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rebar
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 20:43:39 -0700
Allen R. Brier wrote:
> Will it make any difference once it is encased in concrete?
>
> Could welding, however, provide a lower resistance path between pieces of
> rebar to assist in using the base as a Ufer ground?

There's a bunch of literature out there that says there's not much
difference between rebar laid side by side and rebar welded, as far as
grounding effectiveness goes.  There's huge contact area with the
concrete, and all.

But.. from Ufer standpoint.. I like the 20 feet of copper wire embedded
in the concrete.. easy to connect to, no ambiguity, no agonizing about
whether the rebar is painted or rusted.