Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Detuning

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Detuning
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2010 12:16:06 -0700
  On 10/5/2010 11:33 AM, Michael Baker wrote:
> OK, well that raises another question.
> If a clamp on bead works with a single cable and a single turn, why doesn't
> it work with a Tower? Granted, on zig zag reinforcing on the tower, they
> would also have to get a bead to break up the path but why not work? If I
> can clamp on one each to each leg of an overhead power source to keep RF off
> the service entrance, why not a tower leg?
> It is still a single turn?
>
> Section (cut in half with a diamond wheel) Mix 31 toroids and band them
> around the leg. If 5 to 7 work as chokes for coax it should work for the
> leg.
>
> What have I missed?  (OK<  yes, the guys also must be done as well AND all
> cables descending down the tower.

IT DOES NOT WORK ON A TOWER OR A GUY WIRE on 160M. Go back and STUDY
what I wrote. And study the material on ferrites and ferrite chokes in
http://audiosystemsgroup.com/RFI-Ham.pdf

It also does not work at HF as a single turn clamped onto AC, or to
anything else. A single turn through almost ANY ferrite is useful ONLY
at VHF. It is USELESS at HF and below.

73, Jim Brown K9YC