Re: [TowerTalk] Crimped PL-259's

To: jim@audiosystemsgroup.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Crimped PL-259's
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2010 11:53:17 -0700
Jim Brown wrote:
>> Almost no one except amateur radio and CB uses UHF (PL259) connectors
>> anymore.
>>
>> Therefore you will mostly find them in ham and CB shops (and ebay).
>>

> The inference here is that UHF connectors are somehow outmoded. Nothing
> could be further from the truth.  The FACT is that they are entirely
> satisfactory for systems operating below about 500 MHz, and
> mechanically, they have some significant advantages over most other coax
> connectors when installed on most coaxial cables .

I think, though, that the commercially viable application space for UHF
connectors is somewhat restricted.  I doubt you're going to see a huge
commercial market for things like 100 foot premade cables with UHF.  The
typical commercial application (I think..) is running the cable from an
antenna to the radio, which is a sort of "install once and forget" thing.