Re: [TowerTalk] Sealing Coax Connector

To: towertalk@contesting.com, markrob@mindspring.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Sealing Coax Connector
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2010 13:23:14 EDT

In a message dated 10/14/2010 10:30:47 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,

>  People seem to have so many different methods...I use  coax-seal...a
goop
specially made for the purpose. Messy but  effective  I have been
recommended
to use 3M 103C by a coax-seal  hater..hi hi

    I also hate CoaxSeal. Once you put it on a  connector - you can never
get it off; you have to throw the connector away.  The commercial versions
(e.g. db Products, Andrew, etc.) are much  better.

    CoaxSeal is a butyl rubber-type vapor wrap and  will do a decent job if
it goes over an initial layer or two of good  electrical tape. Cover the
vapor wrap with another couple of layers of  electrical tape and you've got a
pretty bombproof connection. (Be sure  the last outer wrap of tape goes UP
if the coax is vertical - that'll  keep water from running right into the
joint.)

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH

PS - There's a good chapter on weatherproofing in my UP THE TOWER book
(www.championradio.com).